Wednesday, September 06, 2006

wednesday wisdom - 9/6/06

Preach Christ: "It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice."

i've read this passage many times. in fact when i was younger i had the whole book memorized as part of Bible Quiz. and each time it has puzzled me. paul speaks of people who "preach Christ" out of wrong motives and yet he still rejoices?? wouldn't they be giving Christ a bad name?? aren't these the type of Christians that we wish weren't because they make the rest of us look bad?? so why is paul happy about them preaching Christ??

but then i quickly turn to myself. what are my motives?? do i do it to further Christ's Kingdom? or do i preach to make myself look good?

it's getting kinda late for me to finish this post, but to end . . . what are your motives?? do some soul searching.

1 Comments:

Blogger jessika said...

that's so true because if we're looking at what other people and their character shortcomings, our focus won't be on Jesus...which is who we need to reflect to the best of our ability. that was a really big encouragement for me. thanks!

9/07/2006 04:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment